Some random thoughts over the past month…
- We just completed the guardianship process so that Stacy and I can continue to make decisions for Sam since he has turned 18. I understand the importance of there being due process, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary steps in our case. Here’s the process. Stacy and I hire an attorney ($500 which I was assured was a bargain). The attorney files a petition with the court stating we are wanting to be Sam’s guardian. A court date is set, Sam is served papers saying such and he is appointed an attorney to represent him. Sam’s attorney meets with him (that was a joy!). He files his opinion to the court. The judge reviews the documents and since Sam’s attorney and our attorney agree that guardianship is necessary and that Stacy and I are suitable guardians, the judge issues an order making Stacy and I co-guardians of Sam – and cancels the hearing 15-20 minutes prior to the scheduled hearing. One of those things we never dreamt we’d have to do 18 years ago!
- Football is truly the greatest sport in the world! High school football is underway, colleges start this Saturday and the NFL begins the following week. Stacy and I moved Bailey to the Cities for her final year at Bethel last Saturday. We were able to attend the Cowboys/Vikings pre-season game that evening. While I know pre-season football doesn’t really matter, it was fun to watch – and much cheaper than a regular season game!
- Speaking of moving Bailey to college, it’s hard to believe she will be spending her last semester at Bethel. Bethel has been a big place in my life. I received my Masters of Divinity degree there over five years and have made several trips there while Bailey has been a student. I wonder how many times I will step foot on that campus after this December? Life does go on…
- Moving children to college is never a fun experience. I am excited that Bailey and Shelby (Central College) have the opportunity to seek higher education, but it is sad to have them out of our house. We had a good four weeks (last two in July and first two in August) with everyone home in our house. It was a very good four weeks! These times with all in the house will be few and far between in the years ahead. Again, life goes on …
- I have had a few people share with me the past few weeks that they feel very distant from God right now. I think this is a great realization and I admire the honesty of these people, but I always wonder what they are going to do to step closer to God. For some, it is dealing with a sin issue. For others, they may need to take a spiritual retreat to recharge their batteries. For others, it may be spending some consistent time in the Bible and in prayer.
- Jogging is hard – if it’s 3 miles, 5 miles or 9 miles. It never fails, when I get to the end of a run of any distance, I am ALWAYS happy to stop!
- We drove across America in July to go to North Carolina. A couple years ago, we drove to California. We do live in a beautiful country. The creativity of God astounds me! Everyone should drive across our country at least once. It is a long ways and takes a lot of time, but it is worth it!
- The Bachelor and now, Bachelor Pad may be the two worst shows in the history of tv. Seeking to manufacture love. How dumb is that?
- You don’t realize how much you miss air conditioning until you go without it. Ours quit working and had to be replaced (and the furnace). Those days without in early August were miserable. Opting to borrow the money to get they replaced may be one of our best decisions of the year!
- Relationships are messy (and I am not talking about relationships within my family).
- HuHot is still my favorite restaurant.
OK, that’s probably enough for this now. Just some random things that have been bouncing around in my brain these past few weeks. Thanks for reading. I do appreciate it!
What’s been going on in your life?